So this coming Saturday we will be involved with a HUGE project that will cover metro-Atlanta. Under the umbrella group known as Unite! we will be doing good in our communities through Compassion In Action. So this week in our Together Groups I thought it would be important for us to talk about not if we should do good (we already get that part), but why we should do good. Probably few people would deny that doing good is important business with which to be involved. But for the follower of Jesus there is so much more to the discussion. Why is it important (as a Jesus follower) to do good?
As we always do at Process, we’ll look to the Scripture to inform our discussion. Please read Matthew 25:31-46 and allow these questions to stretch your thinking…
1. As best you can tell, what is the context of these verses… when is this event taking place?
2. Based on what Jesus says how strongly would you say He feels about this topic?
3. What would you say is the BIG IDEA of this text… the action step?
4. Why does Jesus say it is important to care for “the least of these”?
5. What motive do you hear Jesus espousing related to why we do good?
6. What differentiates why any person may do good versus the motives of someone trying to follow Jesus?
7. Why do you think there is such a harsh penalty for those who do not do good?
8. How does doing good accurately communicate the overall message of Jesus (the gospel)?
For some extra insights follow the link to this commentary… Matthew 25.