Unless you don’t know me very well yet you probably know that I am a book geek… no, really… I am. It has always been that way. For the last 4 years or so I have upped the ante even by my own standards. I’ve been reading at least a book each week.
- to practice humility… learning from others indicates I don’t know everything
- to make spiritual progress… I want to keep growing
- to understand divergent viewpoints… this year Atheism & Buddhism
- to hone my teaching gifts… learning to speak in a way that is understandable
- to learn from great people’s stories… this year Obama & Billy Graham
- to stimulate myself intellectually… my reading grandmother lived to 99
In closing I share my favorite quotation on the subject. It is written on the bookmark I use to keep my place each week. Erasmus said, “When I have a little money I buy books… if any left over I buy food and clothes.”